Permits & visas

If you’re staying with us for over 3 months, you’ll need to apply for a residence permit before you come to Sweden. Shorter stay? You may need a visa. 📨

Do I need a visa or a residence permit?

You’ll need to fix some things before coming to Sweden. First things first, you’ll need to get accepted into your university of choice before you can start.

Before you move to Sweden, you’ll need to apply for a visa.

Because of your citizenship, you’ll need a visa to come to Sweden. But there may be some exceptions. And if you have a biometric passport, you might be exempt from having a visa. But it depends on your citizenship. More details can be found on this list. ↗️ Applying for a visa is pretty easy. Check the Swedish Migration Agency’s website for how to apply for a visa. ↗️

Before you move to Sweden, you’ll need to apply for a residence permit.

But first, you must be admitted to full-time accredited university studies in Sweden and have paid your first tuition fee instalment.

Don’t be late! The application process for a residence permit can, depending on your circumstances, take several months to get a decision. As soon as you’ve paid your first tuition fee, get cracking. Apply for your residence permit on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website. ↗️

    1. Pay your first tuition fee instalment 💸
    2. Prepare your supporting documentation. This includes copies of your passport and letter of admission as well as proving that you can support yourself financially during your time as a student in Sweden. You’ll also need health insurance if you’ll be staying in Sweden for less than one year.
    3. Submit the online application.
    4. Wait for approval 😴
    5. Move to Sweden!

Here for a year? Register in the Swedish Population Register and get your personal identity number.

If you’re going to stay in Sweden for more than one year, you’re generally required to register in the Swedish Population Register. Make sure your residence permit is valid for at least one year.

You can register by filling in the “Move to Sweden” form ↗️ already before you come to Sweden – this way, you will also see what documents you need to bring to Sweden. Then, when you are in Sweden, you only need to go to one of the offices of the Swedish Tax Agency to get it all done. By doing this you also get a Swedish personal identity number – a “personnummer”.

Want to know more? Sign up for the Swedish Tax Agency’s webinar “New in Sweden” ↗️ to hear about things you should think of before moving to Sweden, and much more.

We’re not kidding. It really does make things easier. And you’ll use it on a daily basis for things like borrowing books from the public library, collecting bonus points for grocery shopping, picking up a parcel from the delivery collection point… Should we go on?

And actually, you might struggle to get some things sorted (like opening a bank account) without a personal identity number. So yeah, we’d say it’s an important number to get.

Need to prove your identity when you’re here? So, generally it’s perfectly fine to use your passport or local ID card. But there are times when having a Swedish ID makes things easier. Like when you’re proving your identity in banks, shops, pharmacies, or when you’re in contact with Swedish authorities.

How can I get a Swedish ID card?

First things first, you’ll need to have registered in the Swedish Population Register. After you’ve received your personal identity number, you can go ahead and apply for your Swedish ID card. ↗️ You’ll do this through the Swedish Tax Agency too.

Sanjay, Malmö University

“Just like that carton of milk you bought last month, your residence permit can expire. This means that in no time your card can be invalid, void and completely useless. Make sure you renew it in time!”

Want to work in Sweden after your studies? You can apply to extend your residence permit for an extra 12 months.

During this time you can search for jobs or start a company. Found a job within 12 months? Then you’ll apply for a work permit.

For more information on requirements and how to apply for an extension or a work permit, visit the Swedish Migration Agency’s website. ↗️

Leaving us? 😢 Let the Swedish Tax Agency know.

If you’re registered in the Swedish Population Register and planning to move away from Sweden after your studies, let the Swedish Tax Agency know so that they can remove you from the list.

You can find more information and the form to fill in at the Swedish Tax Agency’s website. ↗️