Photo: Melker Dahlstrand/

Residence permits and visas

Find out the rules for residence permits and visas for citizens of your country.

Regulations on visas and residence permits for international students in Sweden vary depending on country of citizenship. The following guide offers basic guidelines for citizens of non-EU/EEA countries, citizens of EU/EEA countries, Swiss citizens and Nordic citizens.

EU/EEA stands for the European Union and the European Economic Area. If you are not sure if your country belongs to the EU/EEA, consult’s list of EU/EEA countries.

Citizens of non-EU/EEA/Nordic countries

Stays of less than three months

If you are intending to stay in Sweden for less than three months, you will need a visa if the country that issues your passport is on this list. If your country of citizenship is not on the list, you generally can enter Sweden without a visa. You should also confirm possible visa requirements with the Swedish consulate or embassy responsible for your home country.

Stays of more than three months

If your studies in Sweden will last longer than three months, you will need a residence permit before coming to Sweden. Permits are issued by the Swedish Migration Board.

To be eligible to apply for a residence permit for studies, you must have been admitted to full-time accredited university studies in Sweden. This includes paying the first instalment of tuition fees.

To apply for a residence permit for studies, you will need to:

  • Pay your first tuition fee instalment.
  • Prepare your supporting documentation. This includes copies of your passport and letter of admission as well as proving that you can support yourself financially during your time as a student in Sweden. If you’ll be staying in Sweden for less than one year, you’ll also need proof of comprehensive health insurance.
  • Submit the online application.
  • Pay the application fee, currently SEK 1,000.

The current waiting time for a residence permit for studies is up to five months, so be sure to submit your application as soon as possible after receiving your notification of admission.

Visit the Migration Board’s website for full details on applying for a residence permit for studies and to apply. Contact the Migration Board directly with questions regarding your residence permit application.

Useful links

Citizens of EU/EEA countries

Citizens of non-Nordic EU/EEA counties have the right to reside in Sweden. However, you should register with the Swedish Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country.

Registration takes place online. You will need to submit the following along with your online registration:

  • Copy of your passport or national ID card.
  • Copy of your official letter of admission.
  • Copy of your European Health Insurance Card.

Visit the Migration Board’s website for full details on supporting documentation and how to register.

Useful links

Citizens of Switzerland

Swiss citizens are allowed to enter Sweden without a residence permit or visa. However, if you will be studying in Sweden for longer than three months, you will need to apply for a residence permit for studies.

If you are a Swiss citizen, visit the Swedish Migration Board’s website for information on how to apply for a residence permit.

Useful links

Citizens of Nordic countries

Citizens of Nordic countries do not need a visa or residence permit to study in Sweden.

Bachelor's level – how to apply

How to apply for a bachelor's programme in Sweden.

Master's level - how to apply

How to apply for a master's programme in Sweden.

Fees and costs

Tuition fees, health insurance and other expenses: what to budget for when planning your studies in Sweden.

Health insurance and medical care

Health insurance should be arranged before you come to Sweden.