Following the grueling exam week before, I felt the time time was ripe for some good ol’ fashioned nerdy R&R.
So I did what any sensible fantasy-lover would do- I rallied friends from all fandoms and headed right into the thick of Comic Con-GAMEX which took place at the Kista exhibition center (Kistamässan) between the 31st of October and the 2nd of November.
And boy, did I have the time of my life.
“Doing what, exactly?” you may ask.
As a regular comic exhibition frequenter and cosplayer, I love the touch of Swedishness that suffused the whole thing. Things like:
- Cosplayers being coy when you first approach them then going full-blown fan-boy/girl with a bit of encouragement
- Fellow cosplayers giving me heartfelt apologies when I’d tell them that my costume hadn’t arrived in time
- How organized and efficient everything was (I traversed a 100-person line to get my picture taken on the Iron Throne- My wait time? Hardly 10 minutes!)
- The upbeat cheerfulness of the event given that it was super-dreary and drizzly outside
- People fika’ing in outrageous outfits (I think this might be my favorite)
All in all- it was a wonderful experience that’s only made me fall deeper in love with Sweden, its diversity, and its acceptance of other cultures.
Will you be joining us next year? Submit your application to Swedish University Admissions and see what happens!