The scholarships are intended for full-time master’s level studies in Sweden and cover both living costs and tuition fees. The programme offers a total of 10–15 scholarships for the year 2016/2017. The exact number of scholarships for each level (masters/PhD studies/post-docs) depends on the quality and length of the applied study period of all applications received.
The program is only open to candidates from Turkey.
Who is eligible?
The scholarships are only intended for students who are required to pay the tuition fee according to the information at University Admissions.
There is no age limit for scholarship holders.
A scholarship cannot be granted for a student who:
- has already lived in Sweden for two years or more previous to the scholarship period.
- has a Swedish or EU/EES-citizenship, permanent residence permit or work permit in Sweden.
- has previously been awarded a Swedish Institute scholarship for master’s level studies or research at a Swedish university/university college. Observe that students who have attended SI summer courses in the Swedish language, or the Swedish Institute Summer University (SISU), may apply.
- has already been awarded three or more scholarships/grants from SI.
- already holds a degree from a Swedish university/university college.
- is currently enrolled in a study programme at a Swedish university/university college.
A list of eligible master programmes for the academic year 2016/2017 will be available in November 2015. Only programmes within the area of social science are eligible.
Scholarship benefits and period
The scholarship covers both the tuition fee (which is paid directly to the Swedish university/university college by the Swedish Institute) and living expenses to the amount of SEK 9,000 per month.
The scholarship is only awarded for programmes starting in the autumn semester (August/September) and is granted for one academic year, i.e. for two semesters at a time. It will be extended for programmes longer than two semesters provided that the student’s study results are satisfactory.
The scholarship is designed to cover living costs and study expenses for the scholarship holder. There are no grants for family members. The granted scholarship period cannot be altered or extended beyond the study programme period nor can the scholarship be transferred to another study programme at a Swedish university.
Scholarship holders will receive a travel grant in connection with the scholarship. The travel grant is a one-time payment of SEK 5,000. Students on a programme which lasts longer than two semesters will receive an additional grant after a midterm study result review.
Scholarship holders are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance against illness and accident during the scholarship period.
SI Network for Future Global Leaders
All Swedish Institute scholarship holders become members of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders – a network which offers unique opportunities during and after the stay in Sweden. Together with other talented people from all around the world, the scholarship holder is able to take part in a variety of events, exchange ideas and create networks that benefit both to career and personal development.
How to apply
Detailed information on the application procedure will be available in November 2015.
Key dates and deadlines for applications
- November 2015: List of eligible master’s programmes is published by SI
- 1 December 2015 – 15 January 2016: Apply online to eligible master’s programmes at Universityadmissions.se and pay the application fee
- 1 February 2016: Deadline to submit supporting documents and payment of application fee. For detailed information see Universityadmissions.se
- 1-13 February 2016: Apply for a Swedish Institute scholarship through the online application service (application opens 1 February 2016)
- 29 March 2016: Notification of selection results published on Universityadmissions.se
- 12 April 2016: List of successful candidates for Swedish Institute scholarships is published by SI
- 14 April 2016: Deadline for accepting your study place
- 13-17 April 2016: Swedish Institute sends formal scholarship offers to successful candidates by e-mail
- 30 April 2016: Deadline for accepting the Swedish Institute scholarship